John Cottle, once the president of Nevis and a planter, built this tiny church in 1824 as a place for his family and his slaves to worship together. The ruins are located north of Charlestown, hidden in the woods off the main road, just south of the Newcastle Airport. A small sign on the main road marks the beginning of a dirt track that leads back to the church.
A very lenient slave owner, Cottle created this Anglican Church, which was never consecrated, since it was illegal at the time for slaves to worship. It was also known as a chapel, called St. Mark’s of Ease.
Cottle Church is located on part of the 980-acre Round Hill Estate. The structure was severely damaged in a 1974 earthquake and again in 1989 during Hurricane Hugo. The stone building still provides a glimpse into our history.
As a result of these later damages, the plaque which documented the history of the Cottle Church was removed and placed in St. Thomas’ Lowland Church making it more accessible to the public. Nevertheless Cottle Church is still a primary tourist attraction. It is presently undergoing restoration to stabilize it to ensure its historical significance for the future.
To request more information or to contact this business please complete the following form: