Previous Image
Next Image

Jewish Cemetary and Jew’s Walk

Government Road






Price: FREE


Email This Page

The earliest tombstone dates back to 1769 in this small cemetery that was established by the Jews who came to Nevis to work in the sugar industry. The engraved tombstones are written in English, Hebrew, and Portuguese, since these were Sephardic Jews, who had come to Nevis from Brazil. They came to the Island to introduce the technology of sugar production to the island. Across from the cemetery is a long narrow path adjacent to a stonewall, leading to an area where many believe a synagogue was located. It’s suspected that a synagogue was located there, but it’s yet to be proven.

The Jewish graveyard can be accessed by walking from the old Synagogue along the Jews walk. Dating from the late 17th century, the antique burial markers are inscribed in Hebrew, English, and Portuguese.

An old, one-story stone structure behind the modern administration building in Charlestown, Nevis, is possibly the oldest synagogue in the Caribbean. Some believe it is the mikva (ceremonial bath) and all that remains of the oldest Jewish synagogue in the Caribbean.

FREE

comments

Need Help?

To request more information or to contact this business please complete the following form:

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.