Among the records of this church built in 1680 is a tattered, prominently displayed marriage certificate that reads “Horatio Nelson, Esquire, to Frances Nisbet, Widow, on March 11, 1787.”
This delightful stone church dates back to the 1680’s and is known because the historic marriage record of Lord Horatio Nelson and Frances Nisbet is preserved there. In 1886, the register obtained international attention at the Colonial Indian Exhibition in London. It reads as follows:
“1787 March 11th. Horatio Nelson, Esquire.
Captain of His Majesty’s Ship the Boreas, to Frances Herbert Nisbet, Widow”
Located about 10 minutes south of Charlestown on the main road, the churchyard contains many tombstones which date back to the 17th century. Placed at the church is a memorial, which was dedicated by Lady Nelson in memory of her parents, Mr. And Mrs. William Wollward.
To request more information or to contact this business please complete the following form: